The guiding principle of all our work at Lund is to ensure that every child grows up in a safe, secure, and loving family.
Every year, our award-winning services help approximately 4,400 people. These integrated services — adoption, education, treatment, and family support — help Vermont’s children thrive by empowering struggling and vulnerable families to learn ways to break their cycles of poverty, addiction, and abuse.
Our wraparound approach
Lund’s services ‘wrap around’ the whole family to provide services to parents, children, and sometimes, other family members as well. We support you in addressing all the challenges you face, and our programs work together to make sure that families are empowered to become happy, stable, and self sufficient.
We are continually improving and adapting our programs and services in response to the most pressing needs in our community. Some programs take place at our facilities in Burlington and South Burlington, and some take place in clients’ homes or at other locations. Distance or location is not a barrier to getting the help people need.
A long tradition of hope and opportunity
For 125 years, Lund has been helping women, children, and families to thrive throughout Vermont and beyond. Founded in 1890 as a maternity home, Lund has evolved over generations to meet the changing needs of society without ever straying from our mission of helping children thrive.
A culture of collaboration
We are proud to collaborate with state agencies and other nonprofits to do what we can to make life better for young families in Vermont. We could not do this work without our partners and generous support from the individuals, foundations, and businesses in the community.
An integrated array of services
- Adoption: We are a full-service adoption agency, coordinating both infant adoption and adoption of older children in foster care; life-long family support services; counseling for pregnant women and birthfathers; and services for adoptees, adoptive families and birthparents seeking information and connection.
- Education: We offer high school completion and 5 STAR-rated early childhood education programs, so that both mom and child can have a strong educational foundation.
- Residential Treatment: We provide residential treatment for substance abuse and mental health issues for pregnant and parenting women — the only place in Vermont where moms can receive treatment while living with their children.
- Outpatient Treatment: We offer substance abuse treatment for young parents in the community, including Medication-Assisted Treatment as part of Vermont’s Hub and Spoke treatment system.
- Screening and Assessment: We perform comprehensive screening and assessment services for parental substance abuse in families where child welfare is a concern.
- Family Support Services: These include parenting education; transitional housing; developmental screening for children; job training; case management; counseling for incarcerated mothers, their children and caregivers in the community; and supervised visitation for non-custodial parents.
Protecting children, strengthening families and providing hope and opportunity to young parents is at the heart of all that we do at Lund.
Contact us for more information or to get involved — we’d love to hear from you.